¿Sin ganas de leer mucho? Date una vuelta por el Tumblr de Su Nombre en Vano

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Threesome Thursdays: Songs I shouldn’t like

It’s natural and even necessary to have some consistency between what one says and what one does. However, this is kind of hard to do when there are feelings or tastes involved, (Ex: The ex girlfriend you know you shouldn’t see but when she calls, you’re there)

Well, these are three songs which themes will be loved by the believer, but for some reason, I like them

1. Jesus Take the wheel – Carrie Underwood

I know, that in case the woman had not came out alive of such accident, there would not have been a heartwarming story about Jesus taking the wheel. I know this extends to all of those who swear that they prayed and came out alive from some hard situation, without considering that many of those who didn’t came out alive also prayed but no one answered. But I like this song. I know it’s the most illogical, biased thing, but I like it.






2. One of Us – Joan Osborne

I wasn’t sure if to include this song, but I have seen it many religious contexts in which believer try to “humanize” God and appeals to the idea of exploring when it asks the question “what if”, with some uncomfortable questions like “If seeing meant that you would have to believe, In things like heaven and in jesus and the saints and all the prophets”




3. Hallelujah - Rufus Wainwright

Most people remember this for Shrek; to me it reminds of the scene from Watchmen in which the Silk Spectre forgets about Dr. Manhatan and has fun moment with Night Owl. Interesting scene and interesting actress. Regarding the song, it has many references to David and Samson and would sound great in a church, sung by a gospel chorus. Yet I liked it, maybe because the first time I heard it, it was with good scenes attached (Watchmen and Shrek). Maybe it was also on The L Word, but don’t remember well




Anyway, these are songs that maybe I shouldn’t like, but I do. In my defense I can say that these are not just mere declarations of faith but a combination of music and lyrics, and it’s the music I like. And maybe also the feelings it portrays. To like these songs might be similar to admire what the Apollo 13 gave us, which started as a war program and ended up being a project that united and inspired humanity to keep exploring the universe. In the same way, I think it’s only natural to admire the art in “The Last Supper” or the architecture in medieval churches. So, I will fully enjoy these songs.

Bonus: I also like all the songs from Evangelion, no matter the religious connotation.

1 comment:

Blasfema libremente

"Que esté permitido a cada uno pensar como quiera; pero que nunca le esté permitido perjudicar por su manera de pensar" Barón D'Holbach
"Let everyone be permitted to think as he pleases; but never let him be permitted to injure others for their manner of thinking" Barón D'Holbach